Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Requiem: Aberfan

[19-7-10]
1966 - Aberfan Disaster;
I've been looking into the Aberfan Disaster a bit more in the last few hours, and found out that the landslide smashed into the side of a school; Pantglas Junior School.
Some children were able to escape, but 116 were killed. Another 28 adults also died. The local community was devastated by the tragedy and the whole country was shocked and saddened when the news hit the headlines. Read More..
116 victims were children, most between the ages of seven and ten.

I've been looking on a few websites for information regarding Aberfan Disaster;


I've just found a pretty useful quote from the BBC News Page;
Some children were still in the playground, others were filing in to classrooms ready for register.
 Still in the playground! This could be the intro for my animation. I think I'll stick to this Aberfan Disaster idea. I also know a Welsh lady, (The fiance's mum), she lived about 45 minutes away from Aberfan, in Pontypool. (If thats how it's spelt). I'm sure I can have a chat with her to get *first hand* information on what she felt when it happened etc.. and even write the 'notes' up here.

Right, Story idea;
Requiem Begins; Camera starts inside the playground of, 'Pantglas Junior School,' we see playground equipment moving, see saws moving, without the children on them. then we move inside a slowly decaying school. When we are inside we see smashed walls, children laying motionless, classrooms ruined. Smoke and small fires are dotted around. We will get a sense of sadness as if this Disaster has just happened.


Pantglas School in the early 1900s

Pantglas School in the early 1900s

In early October 1966, a ten-year-old Welsh schoolgirl named Eryl Mai Jones had something important to tell her mother.

"Mummy," she said, "I'm not afraid to die."
"You're too young to be talking about dying," her mother said. "Do you want a lollipop?"
On October 20, Eryl Mai woke up after having a memorable dream.
"Mummy, let me tell you about my dream last night," she said.
"Darling, I've no time now. Tell me again later."
"No, Mummy, you must listen," she said. "I dreamt I went to school and there was no school there. Something black had come down all over it".

No comments:

Post a Comment